Thursday, February 22

The Things I DON'T Do for my Kids

Waving

Kai loves waving. Absolutely loves it. To anyone. To train drivers (one even honked the train after waving back!), to train conductors, to security guards, policemen. Anyone in uniform. Even to a passing ambulance (which was not in an emergency) and it was nice for all 3 men sitting in front to wave back. He does not just wave. He waves until they out of his sight.

Which is all fine. UNTIL, he insists that I wave along with him. Heck, he is a kid and can get away with it. Me? I will look like an idiot. So I don't. Which Kai totally cannot understand. In between his waves and smiles as he walks along and turns back, he would urge me to wave and then shoots me the puzzled "Why are you so unfriendly?" looks.

Warning Other People

And the other day we were standing outside the restaurant waiting for Tomo/Taiga to come out when Kai notices a group of women standing in the middle of the car park entrance saying their goodbyes (as many Japanese women are wont to do, which I don't understand). Kai got all concerned and in an urgent tone, started shouting out to them "kuruma kuru da yoou" (car is coming). There was no car coming but my boy has been well-trained that one should never stand in the middle of a road. The women were too busy chatting to pay any attention to him. After a couple more tries, Kai turned around to me and says, Mummy, tell them that car is coming. I did not. How could I? Kai was totally puzzled at this ineffective mummy of his.

Parenting is hard.

1 comment:

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

That is hysterical. I'm still getting my girls to greet people in our neighbourhood properly.