Tuesday, January 30

Chicken Pox

Chicken pox in most cases is just an inconvenience and not harmful.

So when Taiga started having red bumps on Saturday night, my game plan was to observe it, confirm (on my own) that it is chicken pox when there are sufficient blisters, not put him in daycare till the scabs drop off and in the meantime, apply calamine lotion.

That apparently is not how any responsible Japanese mum would handle the situation. At the first red spot, she would whisk the little infected child off to the doctors, to get the doctor to confirm that it is chicken pox, and then to get a chicken pox reducer as well as chicken pox medicines from the doctor. And if the little one goes to a daycare, she would know that absence of scabs from the body is not proof enough, she needs to get a letter from the doc to have his confirmation that the body indeed does not have any scabs.

[Edited to add: No, no, no, what was I thinking? A responsible Japanese mum would have immunized her kid against chicken pox already. I had decided not to immunise my kids (although Taiga is still below the age limit for this immunisation), a decision which has been a thorn in my MIL's side. Actually SIL too! LOL! So the above should read as a "neglectful but still responsible Japanese mum". ]

So you can imagine the outcry when my MIL returned to Tokyo over the weekend and found out that I failed to bring Taiga to the doc when I saw his red bumps and esp when I failed to get the chicken pox reducer for him (it has to be taken almost immediately for it to be effective).

I don't know the Japanese name for this reducer but it is supposed to lessen the no. of red bumps and the itchiness. I first heard abt the reducer 2 weeks back when there was a false alarm for Kai (chicken pox is going around their daycare) but figured, rather unscientifically I admit, that if you are going to get chicken pox, may as well get the full-blown thing rather than have supressed viruses hiding in your body that may come back again later (as shingles or some people do have chicken pox twice although rare). Besides, I was not sure then the side effects of the reducer.

So MIL brings Taiga to the docs and the docs give him some fever reducer (just in case the fever spikes), calamine lotion and lots of powder which is to be taken internally/orally (i.e. drunk) to reduce the itchiness. He was not given the actual chicken pox reducer as it is too late.

I don't know exactly what that powder is although when I surfed the net last night, all the reputed medical sites for children said due to the significant side effects of the chicken pox reducer, they do not advise kids to take that unless the kid has a suppresed immunity such as having a chonic illness like leukemia or where the kid has been taking a high dosage of steriods for asthma type of cases. Besides, the sites say that its reduction effect is very limited. Interesting as it seems that this is routinely given in Japan although like all things pharmaceutical in Japan, they probably reduced the potency of it. Which begs the question, then why take it?

Just in case, I told my MIL this morning to give Taiga only the calamine lotion and not the powder unless he starts scratching very badly (which he has not since it started). I think she thinks I am seriously insane and should I persist in this manner, would probably give her a heart attack soon!

[Edited to add: Of course my MIL ignored me and routinely gave him the powder yesterday.]

Kai would probably get chicken pox too and she has already "warned" me that we are to whisk Kai off to the docs to get the chicken pox reducer once the red spots appear. I have no such intention. Stay tuned for the exciting outcome!

[Edited to add: After being made to feel by my MIL that I am the only insane mum to refuse chicken pox immunisation, I am heartened to hear that 15 kids in the daycare are out at this moment due to chicken pox. The no. could be higher if you take into account those who had it earlier but are recovered and back in daycare already. OK, maybe a few of them are below 1 year old and can't be immunised, but most are above that age. So what does it mean? That working mums think alike? That working mums are neglectful? Whatever, I am just pleased!]

5 comments:

Gina said...

((((hugs Heidi)))) It's tough when someone undermines your mothering capabilities of your own children! I know, I had that while I was pregnant with Branden and even after he was born for a bit. I won't go into big details on here. But I'll just say,

When I was pregnant with B, my very first pregnancy and baby. Of course i was a nervous first time mommy. My MIL told me since I didn't wear socks on my feet in the hot humid Japanese summertime, my baby would no doubt be born retarded or handicapped. This was probably the cruelest thing to say to someone who is a first time pregnant soon to be mom!!! I never forgave her for saying that and my baby was fine! Cultural differences between my MIL and I...even now! Thank god she lives way over in Osaka and I live in Chiba. Many days and nights the women would reduce me to tears!

BUT and I do say but, after B was born,I had somehow had it! She was in Hawaii where I just gave birth and she was bossing me around. Being downright awful. Asking me if I wanted to eat her soup or she'd just throw it into the trash! Very threatening and confrontational I might add!!! I finally had it. Something got me and I got really mad. Maybe I was protecting my own child! Or coulda been hormones making me whacky. I told her..."my baby, my decisions! You wanna make some decisions go have yourself your own baby" And I said this after so much cruelity. Telling me I breasfed wrong...did everything wrong, according to her!
We got in the biggest fight ever, my DH was mortified! So much that she left and packed her bags!

I don't know the answer to everything but I have never asked my MIL for advice on anything. Because I don't want the "I told you so's" or the how she's so smart and Im so dumb! I ask my own mom for advice, my aunties and friends who already have kids older then mine. So I have never had reason to ask her anything.

I'm polite and whatnot. And it's tough..even now my MIL and me have a rocky relationship but I try...even now.

As for immunizations, Heidi. It's a personal decision for every mommy. Key word mommy! LOL. If you don't wanna immunize, so be it! Nobody elses business. I know many who don't. Now personally I immunize. But that's me.

Hang in there sweetie and I'm here for you! And I do totally understand all about MIL's, lol : )

PS, how is Taiga? Are they over? Did he have any scarring? Did Kai get them afterwards?

Heidi said...

Hi Gina,

Thanks for sharing and the support! SO far I am able to keep my MIL frustrations in (apart from letting it out here!) but not healthy ... we'll see!

Yes, Kai has it now. Actually, so happy that he has got it too. He has it real bad, the poor boy, but he has been very good about not scratching - I think my offerings of ice cream everytime he does not scratch helps! :-) We just have to do what we have to do! Haha!

Taiga got it light. Lucky boy.

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

Heidi, thanks for visiting my blog!

I'm going to share a story (like Gina) so that you know you're not alone with the MIL butting-in thing. We moved to Japan when my oldest daughter was 8-months-old. We decided to live with my in-laws for awhile until my husband got a job and we could get settled. From the beginning my MIL questioned everything we did in a little, sweet voice. My husband was supportive of me and told her that I knew what I was doing so just relax. I really appreciated that.

When Emi was 9 months old she started teething. I knew this was coming so I'd stocked up on Infant's Tylenol for the occasion. One night after I had put her to bed she started screaming so I got her out of bed, gave her Tylenol and held her for awhile until she calmed down. About every 2-3 hours through the night she woke up screaming and we would do the same thing again. The next day she was quiet and had little fever but otherwise pretty calm. That day at lunch after I'd put her down for a nap my MIL asked me if I thought we should take Emi to the hospital but I said no that she's just teething. Then my MIL had the gall to say to me that maybe Emi's brain was growing too fast for her head and that's what was wrong with her. Up until this point my MIL had been concerned with the things we did with Emi (like letting her go to sleep by herself or singing songs with her or teaching her to eat food nicely). I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. I calmly said "No, I don't think so" and cleaned up after the lunch. When I told my husband we had a good laugh about it. I was vindicated the next day when her first tooth broke through. We were very happy when we moved out a few months later.

Now almost 6 years later she doesn't interfere anymore. My husband and I have had to have many talks with over the years about giving the girls too much candy, buying the girls too much stuff and talking them our for a walk when we're at a restaurant (I hate this because I really want them to learn how to be patient while we finish our food). I think because my husband is 100% on my side that she has stopped butting in.

I'm sorry that you are going through this (and you too Gina). Don't give up, it will get better eventually.

Heidi said...

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for coming over! It's good that you have your DH's support. Whilst my husband agrees with me, he never ever wants to say anything to his mum.

Maybe I should just count my blessings that for all the lack of respect my MIL has for the way I handle my kids, she does not tell me stuff like the brains are too big. Not yet anyway, I may just drive her to it someday! :-)

Perogyo said...

Thanks for the link Heidi! This is very interesting info. I'm glad both your boys got over the chicken pox well. DS seems to be doing well but I remember them being miserable!